It all started last Thursday morning when I woke John up at 5am after having 'cramps' for the last few hours. He immediately got his stop watch out (and proceeded to were it all day) at that point the contractions were mild and happening every 20 min or so for about 15 sec. We had a regular dr. apt that morning and went into that all excited just for her to tell us that some women have these mild contractions for days even weeks! So we went about our day and went out to breakfast, ran some errands, ect. Then things changed around 7pm; things started to speed up and get stronger, By 10pm we knew it was go time. My goal was to go unmedicated so we wanted to labor at home as long as possible and the doula was a great help for that. We finally went to the hospital at 2am.
Once at the hospital things become bit of a blur for me; I remember checking in and having a contraction at the nurses station and the lady a head of me who had just walked in very calmingly saying she thought she might be in labor looking at me and realizing she had a ways to go! They checked me in and I could tell the nurse was surprised to see that I was already 8cm. Within an hour I was at 10cm and at that point would have taken drugs but was so far along there was no going back and I am glad there was no options at that point. We had to do many different positions to get him to face the correct way, hence the back labor earlier, and if I would have had an epidural I could not have been up moving around into all the different positions. They worked and I finally felt the urge to push, pushing was hard at first and its more painful so you automatically want to hold back. Once I got the hang of it I felt like it only took several good pushes, but I did push for 2hrs. My water never broke and he was almost born in his sac (which is actually really good for the baby) but part of it came out so the dr. broke the bag. John was telling me he could see the head and I did not believe him, just thought he was trying to be encouraging so I would keep pushing, but then just like that he was out.
He was immediately placed on my chest and even after 9months of pregnancy I could not believe my eyes; this baby was mine! he was here and he was so perfect! There was a bit of extra bleeding after the birth but was under control quickly, I did not tear and was up walking around and eating within a few hours.
The entire process was so amazing and its true what other women tell you; you truly forget how bad the pain was once you see your baby and its all over. We are truly blessed and my sons birth is the closes thing to a miracle I have ever participated in.
Once at the hospital things become bit of a blur for me; I remember checking in and having a contraction at the nurses station and the lady a head of me who had just walked in very calmingly saying she thought she might be in labor looking at me and realizing she had a ways to go! They checked me in and I could tell the nurse was surprised to see that I was already 8cm. Within an hour I was at 10cm and at that point would have taken drugs but was so far along there was no going back and I am glad there was no options at that point. We had to do many different positions to get him to face the correct way, hence the back labor earlier, and if I would have had an epidural I could not have been up moving around into all the different positions. They worked and I finally felt the urge to push, pushing was hard at first and its more painful so you automatically want to hold back. Once I got the hang of it I felt like it only took several good pushes, but I did push for 2hrs. My water never broke and he was almost born in his sac (which is actually really good for the baby) but part of it came out so the dr. broke the bag. John was telling me he could see the head and I did not believe him, just thought he was trying to be encouraging so I would keep pushing, but then just like that he was out.
He was immediately placed on my chest and even after 9months of pregnancy I could not believe my eyes; this baby was mine! he was here and he was so perfect! There was a bit of extra bleeding after the birth but was under control quickly, I did not tear and was up walking around and eating within a few hours.
The entire process was so amazing and its true what other women tell you; you truly forget how bad the pain was once you see your baby and its all over. We are truly blessed and my sons birth is the closes thing to a miracle I have ever participated in.

No comments:
Post a Comment